CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Clicks

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Clicks
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Mar 7 07:51:36 2001
At 05:14 PM 3/6/01 -0500, Bill Fisher W4AN wrote:
...I have noticed what I'll call key clicks are getting worse and worse
 >on the bands.  Normally, this phenomina can be observed when signals are
 >VERY strong.  The same signal that produces clicks at 40 over S9, will
 >appear "clean" at S9.

Reading this statement made me uncomfortable at the start.  If cranking in
attenuator makes the clicks go away, then I would wonder whether they are
being produced in the receiver.  I know that my TS-930, which has a good
reputation for handling overload well, behaves exactly this way on many
signals.  Others, however, still produce off-frequency clicks and splatter,
even when reduced to under S9.

I'm afraid that receiver-based tests are never going to persuade
manufacturers to clean up their act.  Why can't we contesters persuade the
ARRL to add an appropriately designed test or tests to their transceiver
reviews?  It would be even better (but maybe utopian?) if they could be
persuaded to run a comparison of the top half-dozen contest radios for
transient off-channel garbage on both CW and SSB.  W8JI's already explained
how this could be done from a technical standpoint, and the ARRL has proved
open to changing its test procedures in the past when presented with a good
idea...

How about it, HQ?  Anyone reading the mail?

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at