CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic stations in CQWW

To: "Gordon LaPoint" <n1mgo@comcast.net>,"CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic stations in CQWW
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:41:53 +0000
At 08:48 AM 11/3/2007 -0400, Gordon LaPoint wrote:
>I understand the rules, but will still try to call a stateside contact if
it is
>an all-time new band-mode one for me.  Is this wrong? should I not call the
>station?  What is the purpose of limiting all contacts to DX? I find
contests
>great times to pick up a new state on a band, or a new dx on a band.

You have to understand that in the CQWW DX contests in particular, when you
call a station that's "serious" about the contest, some ops will get peeved
at you and either not answer or, perhaps just to get you to stop calling,
work but perhaps not log you. But these days, with computer logging, nearly
all M/M or other serious (and knowledgeable) contesters WILL log you since
doing so costs them nothing except the time (and, perhaps later, the
station operator's QSL to you). If they call again on the same band for a
"dupe" Q, work them then politely but firmly tell them "we already worked,
thanks"; after all, they have to learn the rules about making duplicate Qs
somehow.

There are a few contest sponsors around whose rules still stipulate that
dupe Qs will be penalized; and so when you enter your log for those
contests, it's YOUR responsibility to indicate that you know you duped
someone and are not claiming the Q. Then in your comments, politely but
firmly complain about their archaic "penalties for dupes" policy  ;o\  ;o\
;o\  What's funny is when those sponsors also insist upon a Cabrillo log
which has no provisions for marking duplicate QSOs  ;o((((((((

As many have related, times are a'changing, what with the influx of new
HFers and the recent discussions hereabouts on encouraging them to
participate in contests. It would behoove us all to work/log everyone who
calls, regardless, just to insure we don't inadvertently wind up
discouraging a new contester from jumping into a fray at a later date.

Steve, K0XP