CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet - RD3A case

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet - RD3A case
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:29:41 +0000
At 01:55 AM 12/14/2007 +0200, Tõnno VähkRoaw== wrote:
>Another thing is to require logging exact frequencies in CQWW. Should be
>obligatory for top logs.

Unrealistic for those of us without computer connection to our radio(s).
And as several others have pointed out, sometimes a previously-good
computer connection dies for whatever reason such as your laptop on a
DXpedition, your home computer crashes its HD halfway through the test at
home, etc. What would be called a "top log": any that appears at the top of
any particular category, including something as archane as SOSBLP 160 where
you did well enough to break the record for your zone and submit it, hoping
beyond hope that nobody else from your zone will submit a higher score?
It's pretty easy to get in that exact situation sometimes. How about if I
were in the running for 3rd place in the above-mentioned category? Same for
requiring me to record the whole contest: my hard drive's not big enough to
do that, not going to spend the money for another one, not going to spend
the money to buy a new uShaft OS to install on that new hard drive if Santa
did drop one down the old chimney, etc. etc.

Now, these proposals are starting to infringe upon MY right to operate MY
station with the equipment of MY choosing while trying to impress MY family
and friends by winning a simple certificate for placing 3rd in a contest
that happened to have virtually no other entrants within my own area, when
I got on in the first place just hoping for some new countries and wound up
working so much more that my score is competitive in some manner.

I call FOUL.

Steve, K0XP