CQ-Contest

Contest on the net

Subject: Contest on the net
From: ct1boh@telapac.pt (CT1BOH-Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes)
Date: Sun May 12 02:12:08 1996
Any of you guys have cooltalk.
May be we can make a contest on the net...
Jose
ct1boh@telepac.pt

From: km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P) (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
Subject: Rohn tower bolts

>Genuine Rohn tower bolts are hot-dip galvanized, and are the only ones
>that won't rust in outdoor service.  When I've substituted plated
>Grade 5 bolts (available locally in both coarse and fine thread -
>don't mix 'em or you'll go nuts trying to dig the right nuts out of
>your tower bucket) they rust through the plating in a year or two.

I just took down a Rohn 45 tower that was up for 10 years.  I used generic
hardware store bolts and spray painted them with rustolium or something
cheaper I bought at Home Depot.  They were easily removed and no signs of
rust after 10 years.

I also made no special provisions for drainage for the section I sunk in the
ground.  I sawed off the bottom section last week and saw absolutely no
signs of rust.

73

Bill
| Contesting Online... The ultimate           |
| source of ham radio contest information     |
| http://www.contesting.com                   |

From: km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P) (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
Subject: Tour N6TR Station

Just got done editing the N6TR tour.  Tree did a GREAT job of showing us all
around his place.  Several pictures and wonderful editorial.  If you want
something interesting to read...

You can view it by starting at http://www.contesting.com

Look for "Tour N6TR".

73

Bill, KM9P

From: n3rr@cais.cais.com (Bill Hider) (Bill Hider)
Subject: Source of bolts & Timewave

George, What you did is exactly why I recommended going to ROHN (or their
dealer).  Bolts at hardware stores have no pedigree.  They are usually made
off-shore and you cannot be assured they meet any spec.

I buy all of my tower bolts at a specialty fasteners distributor and am
assured they are made in the USA and meet certain ASTM specs.  I buy Grade 5
bolts, hot dipped galvanized, by the way.

When the wind blows, you want the piece of mind to know that the proper
strength is in the bolts.

73!

Bill, N3RR

P.S.  Since I don't have a ROHN tower, I recommended the ham go to a ROHN
dealer.  If he knows the ROHN spec, it would be perfectly alright for him to
go to a specialty bolt dealer and buy the proper USA-made bolt to the
ROHN/ASTM spec.  But, never buy tower bolts/nuts/lockwashers at a hardware
store.

From: km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P) (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
Subject: P.S.  Tour N6TR

I'm interested in doing something similar with other successfull
stations/ops.  Would love to have any of the following & more:

N6ND     N6RO     K3LR
W6QHS    K5XI     KN8Z
K0RF     KC2X     N2RM
AA6TT    W4MYA    N2NT
WB0O     N3RS     KT3Y
NC0P     K1KI     K3ZO
W0AIH    K1EA     W9RE
K4ISV    K8CC
KS9K     AA8U
N4AR     W3LPL

All I need are some pictures and interesting editorial in lines with what
Tree did in his presentation.  I'de be interested in reading about "special"
antennas or things you've learned building the station that you could share
with the rest of us.

Thanks

Bill, KM9P