CQ-Contest

40-2CD on 17 meters

Subject: 40-2CD on 17 meters
From: tonyjw@primenet.com (Tony Wanschura)
Date: Tue May 28 14:43:22 1996
I've seen references on the reflector to using the 40-2CD on 17
meters.  For those of you have done this, how well does it perform
on that band?

Thanks,
Tony  KM0O   "kayMOO"

From: syam@Glue.umd.edu (De Syam) (De Syam)
Subject: What country is 1E6???

On Tue, 28 May 1996, John R. Moore wrote:

> Harri M. Mantila OH6YF-OH0MYF wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I worked 1E6-station in the CQ WPX Contest, but what is his DXCC country?
> >
> > 73's de Harry OH6YF-OH0MYF
> > Contest is...
> > hmantila@kauhajoki.fi
> > http://www.teuva.fi/yritykset/mantila/oh6yf.html
>
> I was wondering the same thing Where is 1E6KYA I copied him twice once on 15
> and once on 20
> .
> John W5HUQ

I note JE6KYA in my log on 20 meters.  Could it be that he was having
trouble counting the dashes when he tried to send "J"?

                                    Very 73,

                                  Fred Laun, K3ZO

From: syam@Glue.umd.edu (De Syam) (De Syam)
Subject: Some Good News From The WPX Contest

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Walter Deemer wrote:

> In case you did not take part in last weekend's WPX contest, I would like to
> report what, in my humble opinion, is some VERY encouraging news.
>
> I heard no less than five Cuban stations active in the contest, and managed
> to make at least one Cuban contact on every band from 80 through 15.  (And
> these were real contest QSO's, not "manufactured" ones.)
>
> This is much more contest activity from Cuba than I have heard for a long,
> long time, and I certainly hope it is a sign that Cuban stations may be much
> more active in contests in the future than they have been recently.  (I also
> hope it may indicate that more than amateur radio activity is on the upswing
> there as well.)
>
> (And, no; this is in no way a comment, pro or con, on the political and/or
> human rights situation in Cuba or anywhere else.  Back in the days of the
> Cold War, there was a saying that "Amateur Radio Is International
> Friendship", and I very strongly believe that people-to-communications --
> like the ones in amateur radio contests -- have gone, and will continue to
> go, a long way towards making this tired old planet of ours a better, more
> peaceful one on which to live...)
>
> 73, Walt, AC1O

I would like to second Walt's comments, and would hope that K7JA's/WA7WMB's
expedition there a few months ago and the nice write-up that followed in
QST had something to do with it, as well as CQ VHF Columnist N6CL's
frequent trips to the island!

                                     Very 73,

                                  Fred Laun, K3ZO

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)

        Where is 1E6KYA I copied him twice once on 15 and once on 20
        > .

        I note JE6KYA in my log on 20 meters.  Could it be that he was
        having trouble counting the dashes when he tried to send "J"?

I foolishly ignored MJ/somebody, thinking the J was a poorly-sent
1 for someone mobile in W1-land...   Of course, it's = GJ.

There are certainly a bunch of people out there who have trouble
sending 6, though - unless a dash plus 5 dots is some new non-standard
symbol.

Oh well, at least there are people out there sending CW and we still
have CW contests and band segments.   In a few years we might miss
them.

Derek AA5BT, G3NMX
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu

From: ken.silverman@CCMAIL.AirTouch.COM (Ken Silverman) (Ken Silverman)
Subject: CQP Awards Status

     Hello to the Contest Community,

     I just wanted to give everyone an update on the California QSO Party
     (CQP) awards.  The awards were all set to go out the weekend after
     Visalia -  everything was in place (awards, people, boxes, barbecue,
     and the computer to print the awards and labels).  But just days
     before our mailing-party, the computer which held all the awards info
     was stolen (and we didn't have a backup).  It has taken WA6SDM some
     time to recompile the data from scratch, and we expect to have the
     mailing-party in about 4 weeks (thanks for the effort Jim!).

     Some of you have written to say that your checks were cashed some time
     ago - and this is true, since we were scheduled to do the mailing back
     in April.

     The NCCC worked hard this year to make sure that the awards were
     mailed in a timely and accurate fashion, and that the process will
     continue forward.

     Thank you for your understanding.

     Best Regards,

     Kenny WM2C