CQ-Contest

RF Shielding

Subject: RF Shielding
From: n1reu@contesting.com (Jack Hamm N1REU)
Date: Mon Oct 14 10:56:39 1996
Hi guys,
   Does anyone know where I can get RF shielding for my computer, it's a
486DX/33, and is making major noise on HF.  I plan to run CQ WW, and
this interference will not do.  Someone said use tinfoil, but before I
wrap my computer up, will it actually help?  Thanks and 73 de Jack N1REU
--
---
"Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself"

From: george@epix.net (George C. Cook) (George C. Cook)
Subject: Keyer

Durring the set up for the PA QSO party my MFJ memory keyer
took a major league dump just dead and no revival.  Not too surprising I
guess since I never did
own anything made by MFJ that ever did work.

Any way since I need a new keyer now for my 930 what do you fellows recoment?

gc
*George Cook.....AA3JU.....AKA "The Ratman" *
*george@epix.net.....AA3JU@W3PYF            *
*http://www.epix.net/~george                *
*                                           *
*Proudly Frankford Radio Club.........      *
*.......Proficiency Through Competiton.     *
*"Not just words but a way of life"         *

From: snace@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov (Steven Nace) (Steven Nace)
Subject: CW SS Mobile ops - the answer from KR1R

K4OGG got this answer from the League. I am reposting as it appears he did
not send this message to the entire group.

>I wondered about the scoring, regarding sections, myself so I asked
>Billy Lunt at the ARRL.  The response was that each time you enter a new
>section, you start from scratch. I'll be in TN (visiting daughter at
>Vandy) and will then be coming back to GA on Sunday afternoon. I will start
>with number 1 when I enter GA. Problem (if I do this -- and many are saying
>that I should not) will be convincing stations that I am not a dupe. Also,
>if I do it, I'll probably use a tape recorder.
>
>Thanks for your response!
>73,
>- Jay/K4OGG

de Hose   KN5H     not  KM5H or KN5S or KNH5

From: n4bp@shadow.net (Bob Patten) (Bob Patten)
Subject: Too Much CW?

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, marcus (m.c.) leatham wrote:

> >>This took all of about 3 seconds while I rolled over and looked out the
> >>window at the early morning hazy sky, realizing I was trying to copy a
> >>dump truck that was backing up with it's reverse beeper on......
>
> What's worse is a fat lady in the grocery store checkout line, when
> her beeper goes off:  "Oh, no!  She's backing up!!!"

This seems the appropriate discussion in which to throw in my story from
last winter's contest season...
Deep into one of the contests (I forget which one), my XYL came into the
shack and told me she was hearing Morse Code from the toilet.  I recalled
one of my neighbors at a previous QTH hearing code from her toaster, but
this was even better.  Of course, I had difficulty believing this, too.
So to humor her, I put NA in the "CQ" repeat mode and walked into the
other room with her.  Sure enough, with the lid up, I could clearly copy
"CQ TEST de N4BP K".
The mystery was quickly solved.  Some time ago I had observed that my CW
on 15M, under certain beam headings, would key the automatic sprinkler
system off and on.  A further result was a drop in inside water pressure
each time the sprinklers "keyed" on.  The change in water pressure would
cause the toilet flapper valve to move and make noise.  It's amazing to
me that the toilet could respond that well to 25-30 wpm!  Is this a novel
receiver or what?

Bob Patten, N4BP