CQ-Contest

P40E

Subject: P40E
From: ct1boh@mail.telepac.pt (CT1BOH Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes)
Date: Thu Oct 17 23:06:03 1996
Hi Guys

I am on my way to Aruba for the CQ WW SSB.
I will be QRV as Single Op All Bands as usual.

Saturday the 19th I will be in Miami. I will stay at the Airport Regency
Hotel
TEL 305-4411600. If any contester is around fell free to give a call.

Should be QRV from P4 on the 21st October. Qsling via CT1AHU.

Best 73
Jose Carlos Cardoso Nunes
ct1boh@mail.telepac.pt

From: gussam@voyager.newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson) (Gus Samuelson)
Subject: EU Layers

Boy I really feel for you guys ( I'm closer to Europe than I am to most
places in North America) As a contester it has it's advantages,
 as a dxer it's just QRM !

Layers ? What layers ? First there are the guys with beams , then there are
the guys with dipoles , then there are the QRP guys with Beams , QRP with
Dipoles , the occasional guy with some wire in his " loft  "   attic  that is.
The 20m mobiles then the 40 m Mobiles and once in While the 80 m  Eu Mobile!
 Then finally there are the guys with Coat hangers lashed to the metal
railing on their apartment bldg balconies.
Yes I guess there are SOME layers !

My sympathies!!

>>>To those of us in the "true midwest" there are two layers of europeans.
>>>Those we can hear and those we can't.

      VO1MP
      Gus Samuelson                e-mail   gussam&voyager.newcomm.net
      P.O. Box 38 Site 4 RR # 1    packet   VO1MP@VO1AAA.#ENF.NF.CAN.NOAM
      St. Phillips, Nfld.
      Canada A1L 1C1

From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver) (Ward Silver)
Subject: Hubble Follows Rapid Changes in Jupiter's Aurora (fwd)

Here's a scary scenario...

From: kf3p@cais.cais.com (Tyler Stewart) (Tyler Stewart)
Subject: YAESU IMD

>Newer rigs (TS-870, IC-775, FT-1000MP) were thoroughly tested by ARRL, RSGB and
>DARC and all data show remarkable strong signal performance of new YAESU.  K7JA
>surprised me with a fact that relays are used for input RX filter switching so
>no problem with IMD2 & IMD3 at the most sensitive spot.  I am amazed that after
>all the nice figures available, people still make subjective claims regarding
>FT1000D v FT1000MP versus rest of the rigs.  At least we got rid of "Buy USA"
>propaganda :-)
>73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU.
>P.S.  Does anybody uses superb JST-245 in contests?

You are absolutely right, Mario.  Yaesu looked at all the RX mods they had
made to the 1000D and built the MP to that standard or better every step of
the way.

I'd agree that the TX section could still use a little tweaking, but the guy
who said the MP wont work with an Alpha 87 is just dead wrong.  I've got 2
MP's of different vintage and 2 87's and they both run just fine. Even
unmodified,
the MP works fine with a properly adjusted 87.  They did come out with a very
simple power control mod (cut a track and install a jumper wire) which fixed
any complaints in that department.  However, I do agree the D's TX as a whole
is more solidly built (and of course puts out more power).

Someone complained about Yaesu service!  I couldnt believe that one.  I just
sent my MP in with several minor complaints and upgrades and they turned it
around in 1 week!  I even talked to the technician twice during the process.
This 2 weeks before CQWW phone...  yeah, that's TERRIBLE service!

Besides the nearly bullet-proof RX, I was sold on 2 things.  It's small and
light enought to be DXpedition material and it's versatile.  It's got all
sorts of options and flexibility, but the kicker for me was that it's set up
to run transverters for VHF/UHF.  It's a beautiful IF radio for 2 meter
contesting in a "hostile" environment.

Lastly, I'd suggest to anyone that is going to post summaries please include the
ID's of the people responding.

73, Tyler KF3P
|         Stewart Communications - 301-253-5256 - kf3p@cais.com           |
|                          "Get the Best for Less!"                       |
| Authorized Dealer: Standard Communications Land Mobile and Marine Radio |
|      Industrial Communications Engineers (ICE) and PAR Electronics      |

From: ken.silverman@CCMAIL.AirTouch.COM (Ken Silverman) (Ken Silverman)
Subject: YV10M in CQ WW SSB

     I'm of to Caracas next week to participate in a planned M/S in the WW
     SSB, from the island of La Orchila, off the coast of Venezuela.   All
     of the crew except myself are YV's.  The only call I heard talked
     about was YV10M (YV-one-zero-M) (but I haven't heard if the call is
     locked down).  If all else fails, we may be on as YV5A or 4M5X from
     the mainland.

     Kenny WM2C

From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid) (Jim Reid)

At 08:44 PM 10/17/96 EDT, you wrote:

>Newer rigs (TS-870, IC-775, FT-1000MP) were thoroughly tested
>by ARRL, RSGB and DARC and all data show remarkable strong signal
>performance of new YAESU(MP).
>  K7JA  surprised me with a fact that relays are used for input RX
>filter switching so no problem with IMD2 & IMD3 at the most
> sensitive spot.  I am amazed that after all the nice figures available,
> people still make subjective claims regarding FT1000D v FT1000MP
> versus rest of the rigs.  At least we got rid of "Buy USA" propaganda :-)
>73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU.

Aloha Mario,

Yes,  also the RF preamp of the MP may be operator bypassed, or
set to operate "flat gain" across all HF bands,  or only amplify
either the lower or upper HF bands.  This flexiblilty certainly
helps to lower intermod distortion products in a strong signal
environment.  Such problems are very common during contests
(or when rare DX is QRV)  among amateurs who live in
near proximity to one another,  such as a metropolitan area.

Fortunatly for me,  I have not been faced with that out here
on this island.  However,  I believe the QTH area has been
discovered.  I am told that an active DXer from Japan,
AH0A / 7A1AAA is building a (retirement?) QTH only about
3 or 4 miles North of me,  and above me by maybe 400 feet
on a hill.  His only problem there is going to be blockage by
the mountains to his North,  which is our short path over
the pole to Eu and the Med. From my QTH,  Mt. Kahili
rises about 5 or 6 degrees due North,  for him it will be a
greater problem.

Anyway,  my idyllic setting may become shared with another!

73,   Jim,  AH6NB

From: robrk@fyi.net (Robert Morris) (Robert Morris)

Ward Silver wrote:

> Here's a scary scenario...

Sorry....just getting ready for contest...testing the Amp...