CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: Do away with signal reports.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Do away with signal reports.
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Thu Jun 5 05:23:25 1997
On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 21:43:47 -0400 (EDT), okanep@iol.ie (Paul O'Kane
EI5DI) wrote:

>It's self-evident that signal reports are meaningless in HF
>contests, because they are almost invariably 59(9).  As such,
>they simply waste time.
>
>I've already asked why couldn't we do away with signal reports and
>replace them with a serial in any contest that doesn't already have
>a serial?

Or how about requiring a TRUE signal report?  You'd only need two
rules:

1.  Anyone who sent the same report (599) to every station would be
disqualified.

2.  The report you log would have to match what the other guy sent.

A true signal report would be quite useful in evaluating one's station
over the course of a contest and a lot more interesting than a bunch
of serial numbers.

73, Bill W7TI