CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] contest QSL ettiquette

Subject: [CQ-Contest] contest QSL ettiquette
From: k4bai@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Wed Oct 15 09:32:13 1997
jack.sippel@nellcorpb.com wrote:

> I just completed the log sheet for my first ever contest - the FISTS
> Fall Sprint.  After my nerves quieted down I really had a blast.  My
> question is this:  What is expected for sending out QSL cards after a
> contest?
>
> I asked another op for a QSL card because I needed a verification from
> his state for my W.A.S. award.  I also had one station ask me for one
> during the QSO and I will certainly reply.  Am I expected to send QSL
> cards to everyone I contact?  Do I still need to send in log sheets even
> if I'm sure I'm not going to score high enough to place (it seems like I
> would be adding work to an already overworked volunteer).
>
> Thanks for your thoughts....73 de KU0KU, Jack Sippel, Kansas City
> <jack.sippel@nellcorpb.com>
>
> --

Hi Jack:  I hope you will continue to enjoy and participate in contests.
You are not expected to QSL anyone except in reply to QSLs you receive.
However, you may QSL any or all.  This is particularly so for FISTS
events, since their FISTS QSL Bureau is so cheap and efficiently
operated.  Speaking as a former contest sponsor and log-checker, I don't
think any sponsors want to discourage submissions even from those who
don't qualify for awards.  These logs allow them to check the winners
for accuracy.  73, John, K4BAI.