CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents

To: <steve.root@culligan4water.com>, "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:00:09 -0400
> Except it doesn't work that way. If you live in San Diego, you're much
> farther from Europe that I am in Minnesota
> and yet enjoy much better propagation a daily basis. I listen to 160 every
> morning during the winter, and my notes
> show me that I'm almost 4 times as likely to hear a W1 or W2 (who are
> south of me) working a JA than I am of
> hearing the JA myself. It's that PATH, not a simple distance calculation.

Exactly. Path is more important than distance, yet this has been illogically
been driven by the incorrect assumption distance is the primary problem.

Based on what happens here and looking at skimmer signal strength levels, I
am 100% convinced this area is at no overall disadvantage to the NE. This
area certainly is at no disadvantage to K3LR, who is not even east coast.