CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Propagation Query

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Propagation Query
From: K4BAI@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Thu Feb 26 09:18:03 1998
The skew path propagation that Gary describes is fairly common during
marginal conditions on 15 and 20.  During low sunspot years, from the
southeast often the only JAs we get are on the skew path with beams
pointed to VK on 15.  I don't remember that experience from here on 10.
We often have that type of propagation to JA during the middle of our
night on 20 during any part of the cycle.  The same type of thing is
very common on 15 and 10 to Europe on a skew path where you must beam to
Africa.  On good days this occurs early and the short path then opens.
On bad days, the only Europeans worked are on this skew path.
        Occasionally we get long path openings to JA or to Europe on 10 when
the short path doesn't open.  To JA and Southeast Asia this occurred
during the CQWW CW last Nov and again in ARRL 10 in Dec.  In each test,
it seemed to occur only one one of the two days and during times that
the band was also open short path to Europe.  The path was great at 8P9Z
in Nov and I understand was open to the SE USA, but not further north or
west.  I experienced it in the 10 meter contest in Dec when the only JA
and South East Asia stations (plus Philippines) were worked on that long
path opening.  73, John, K4BAI/8P9HT.