CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Packet vs. No Packet Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet vs. No Packet Contesting
From: rpechie@snet.net (Dick Pechie - KB1H)
Date: Thu Feb 21 15:08:02 2002
Time to add my two cents worth....

Adding to what I consider a waste of bandwidth, this packet vs no-packet
contesting is really a silly thread. I guess I add my nonsense only
because some of the tones in the messages suggest I am less a contester
if I use packet! I don't think so. If no-packet contesting is needed to
prove my respect for the sport than I guess we all should dig out our
Drake T4/R4 pairs and really tough it out. Paper logs, Post-its to pass
mults between operating positions.

If no packet makes your juices flow than do it! I am not really sure
what it proves but if doing a contest that way renews a lost feeling I
guess it's good.

I dare say that packet has brought a few new contesters. Increased
activity a little. Replacing the old "search and pounce" with "point and
shoot" has gotten a few less talented operators active.

My only suggestion would be to make a Unassisted category for all
transmitter classes and not look down your nose at those that chose to
utilize what resources are available and you choose not to use.

73 Dick - KB1H

From: Gus Samuelson" <gussam@newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] W/VEs Can't Work Other W/VEs in ARRL DX

Why don't you guys lighten up and live with it ,
it happens all the time here but usually
 DX DX ONLY cures it, alternatively I just ignore it
Hi !
73 VO1MP  who sometimes needs Ws and VEs
in other contests.
Gus Samuelson