CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] WPX Strategy?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX Strategy?
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Tue Mar 20 21:13:27 2001
At 09:25 PM 3/20/01 -0500, Bruce Ferry wrote:

 >While we're on the subject of strategy, how about the effect of a
 >possibly unique prefix?
 >
 >This will be my first WPX with my new call and I'd like to make the most
 >of it.
 >
 >--
 >Bruce Ferry, AK8B

I'd say you ought to plop yourself down on a frequency, run like heck and
hope you get spotted on the DX cluster. You'll be able to tell when you've
been spotted as there'll be a sudden surge in the number of stations
calling you that will last about 2 minutes. At very least, the exercise
should teach you some things about running a frequency!

If you don't think you can run, then you can't do much more than S&P and
hand out your "rare" prefix to everyone else.

Remember that 10m is a huge band and you can always find a place to run if
you look long enough. Almost ditto for 15m.

73,

-Marty NW0L (another "rare" one, chosen specifically for WPX contests...)
   martyt@pobox.com