CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Keyer

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Keyer
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond NØSS)
Date: Wed May 23 10:22:37 2001
Hans:

K0HB wrote:
>Thinking of replacing my old Heathkit SA-5010 uMatic
>keyer (the top is delaminating).
>
>Requirements:
>    12V operation
>    Adjustable weighting
>    Adjustable spacing
>    Adjustable sidetone (volume and pitch)
>    Several memories (at least 5)

For my $$$, the ONLY keyer to have (and I've had MANY over the past 42+
years) is the CMOS Super Keyer III (LogiKey) from Idiom Press,
http://www.idiompress.com/.

If you're a builder, the CMOS Super Keyer III is VERY(!) easy to build. $58
ppd for all the components that mount on the PC board, and with a little
judicious searching, another $20 for the external (not PC board mounted)
components. This keyer will typically run 1-2 years(!) on three internal AA
cells.

The hardest part of building the CMOS III keyer is finding memory buttons
with a really good 'feel', and I've found them, for about $1.50 each,
including switch caps. Contact me if you're interested.

If you're not a builder, then consider the LogiKey, which comes to you
pre-assembled for $130. This keyer runs on a single 9V battery, but I don't
have battery life info.

As a contester/ragchewer I've found these keyers to provide ALL of the
features I want in a keyer... and I find them to be by far the 'smoothest'
sending keyers on the market today.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS