CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: [SECC] DX Participation in NAQP Contests

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: [SECC] DX Participation in NAQP Contests
From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:17:04 -0500
On 21 Jan 2004 at 20:45, Jeffrey D Clarke wrote:

> How about a both a high and low power class for NA too ??

Could we also get hi and low power multi-single and multi-
muliti in addition to the multi-2?  And a tribander & wire
category would be good too.  Actually, since I don't have a
160 antenna, could we have a non-160 class?  Maybe some
interest in single-band entries too.

Sorry, I got carried away...

> Besides , the stations who always make the top ten in
> NAQP are the same who regularly operate from big stations
> that make the top ten in  HP in SS too... By letting them
> run high power they can make even more QSO's...

And screw up the bands so that people with smaller
stations, such as you and I, have even less chance at a
decent frequency.  See, that's one of the really nice
things about NAQP...little guys have better shots at good
frequencies!

I choose to run low power for financial and other reasons.
I'm just glad there are as many contests that have low
power categories as there are.  But the best is the NAQP,
where everyone has to run low power!

Or, my favorite idea:  Limit power output to 100w maximum
for everyone in all contests.  I can work anywhere in the
world with 100w, so why should we need more power for
contesting?  Then I can see how my operating and station
*really* stack up.

> Sorry I'm not crying sour grapes but I would prefer to
> compete against those guys who normally choose to do SOLP
> , because they have a smaller station like me, instead of
> a guy at a large station who I have no chance against...

How about the time you really have things going right, and
make a record low power score, only to find out that N5TJ
decided to go low power that year using attic
antennas...and beat you by 2X??

If memory serves, I made top 10 CW and top 5 combined one
year in the NAQP from my folks' house - TA-33 @ 40' with
40/80m wires...not exactly a huge station.

NA ain't broke...so it don't need fixin'!

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia