CQ-Contest

W2AU BALUNS???

Subject: W2AU BALUNS???
From: py2rn@SP-gw.ampr.org (py2rn@SP-gw.ampr.org)
Date: Sat Aug 19 19:12:48 1995
Where can I find out W2AU/W2DU baluns distribuitors? and if possible
who ship it to Brazil.
Tks any help. Ed - PY2RN

From: Will Sill <will@epix.net> (Will Sill)
Subject: Grounding

On Sat, 19 Aug 1995 KR2J@aol.com wrote:

> I would check with your electrician and local building code officials before
> doing anything that to most of us "makes sense".  Believe me, a lot of the
> things in the NEC don't make sense from an engineer's or technician's point
> of view.
>
> Stay safe (and out of court) - 73,
>
> Bob Naumann
> KR2J@AOL.com

Without suggesting the forgoing advice is WRONG (it ain't necessarily so)
I, in turn, would respectfully suggest that (regardless of the course
taken) it is after all impossible in this litigation conscious time to
meet both common sense safe practices AND the tortuous requirements set
forth by the incredibly complex bureaucracy of gummit - the tip of said
iceberg being represented in this case by the NEC.

Staying safe to the best of your ability ought to be given priority over
"staying out of court" for two perfectly good reasons:  1) You have a lot
more controol over safety than lawyers; and 2) if you're successful you
have a better chance of avoiding litigation.  You may rest assured that
your most scrupulous efforts to comply with the _regulations_ will avail
you zip if it can be established that you knew better in spite of stupid,
conflicting, or inadequate regulations!

will@epix.net - KD3XR - W F Sill, Tunkhannock, PA

From: Doug Grant <0006008716@mcimail.com> (Doug Grant)
Subject: DSP Radios

I've found the recent thread on DSP for filtering in radios fascinating.

Where will it all end? Will the DSP (and all the other computers) end up in
the radio, or will the radio end up inside the PC?

Someone mentioned the Comfocus "Softwave" radio-on-a-PC-plugin-board product,
which was at Dayton 94. Apparently Comfocus has become unglued somehow.

THis year at Dayton, another of these boxes appeared. It's called "Radware",
and is built by Comer Communications of San Diego, CA.

(Before continuing - I know Brian Comer, KF6C, personally. His board uses a lot
of components manufactured by the billion-dollar that employs me. I have no
other connection with this product or company. Your mileage may vary, etc.)

Comer Communications has historically designed and manufactured very high-end
radios for government agencies with expensive tastes and high standards for
performance. He made the switch from analog to digital filtering, demodulation,
etc., some years ago, and now is selling it to the ham market.

His board is as solid a radio design as you'll find in the RF and IF sections.
It also lives happily inside a PC with no crud from the digital stuff getting
in.

The magic (also known as DSP) is done by a sound card with a programmable DSP
in it. The architecture is (gasp) direct conversion, but a tastefully-applied
DSP does wonders in cleaning up the warts generally associated with that scheme.

THere's a transmitter included, but it only puts out 0 dBm (1 milliwatt). Of
course, you can get a small outboard amp to crank it up to something that will
drive your Alpha.

Oh - almost forgot - the radio (with software for WIndows interface) is either
$300 or 400 (I can't remember). Now tell me again why I should buy an
FT-1000MP,
781, or whatever for 10X the money, then hook it up to my PC anyway?

Actually, since Brian's not a contester, the RADWARE product does have its short
comings for our use. However, they aren't technological problems - more in the
human-interface area.

Again - this is not to be construed as a plug for Brian's product (and no, I
don't have one myself...). However, the performance possible using the
resourcfes
of a PC and DSP-based sound peripheral is getting darned good.

GOtta get back to my "no-QRL" clear-channel detection algorithm now...

73,

Doug
K1DG@mcimail.com

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)
Subject: Beverage supports

I was away for 2 1/2 days, and am beginning to go thru the 205 (!) mail
msgs rcvd. Unbelievable how the traffic has grown over the last few
months.
Anyway, Here's how I support my Beverage, which has the tower on one end,
and a tree about 600-700 ft away:
I picked up two 10 ft lengths of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. Using a hack saw, I
cut a slit down the middle of one end about 2 inches. I use this slit to
stick the wire in. I take a 2 ft piece of rebar and ahmmer it about 1 ft
in the ground, and then place the PVC pipe over it (oops, that's
"hammer"). For my 600-700 ft, and 17 gauge steel wire, I use 2 10 ft
supports, basically having 200 ft between each support. Only time it has
fallen was when the ground was VERY wet, and windy. With a little tension
on the wire, it holds up very well. 73

--

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
Newtown, PA                 Packet Radio: W2UP @ WB3JOE.#EPA.PA.USA.NA

From: barry@w2up.wells.com (Barry Kutner) (Barry Kutner)
Subject: New Radios

K8DO@aol.com writes:

> Further suggestions on things to remove from the front of radios....

I vote for removing mic, headphone, and any other jacks that would cause
a plug and wires to protrude from the radio. All those things get in the
way of the computer keyboard, which seems to be an intrgral part of the
radio now...