CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Fringe reception

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fringe reception
From: Jim Preston <jpreston1@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:10:58 -0800
Pete,

The frequency of 87.9 MHz is not in the FM broadcast band. The lowest frequency in that band is 88.1 (this is the center channel frequency). There is one exception. Class D noncommercial educational stations may operate on 87.9 but with several restrictions. If I understand the rules correctly (this is not even close to my field of expertise), these stations are limited to 10 watts transmitter output, and are not to interfere with TV channel 6.

The rules covering this are at this url:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/47cfr73_02.html

73,

Jim N6VH

Grillo's wrote:
I realize this is not contest related, but it does touch the FCC thread.....

What is my next step to resolve interference from a local FM station that
just started transmitting and is wiping out my TV channels 5, 6, 7, and 9 as
well as my favorite FM broadcast station?

The intruder is located about 1/4 mile from me and transmits on 87.9 MHz .
My favorite FM station is at 90.1....Of course, it doesn't help that these
TV stations are 60 miles away, but line of sight.  I always had clear
pictures before.  I'm trying to avoid satellite, but may have to go that
route.

I called FCC today and they gave me the answer I heard in the 50's.  It is
the receiving equipment manufacturer's problem.

Pete,
W0RTT