CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] ] Response to K5ZD's comments

To: Bob Gates <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ] Response to K5ZD's comments
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:00:04 -0800
I agree to leave things as they are.  If they were to be limited to 24
hours I believe we would loose entrants.  Some people have to work
Saturdays and so only contest on Sundays.  Some people have family or
church commitments, or work on Sundays, and so only contest on
Saturdays.  With the 48 hour period both groups can be accommodated.

Bob Gates wrote:

> Their have been volumes of comments regarding 24 vs. 48 hour contests,
> presumably targeted so that one could "win" a contest while operating only 24
> hours, while the 'big guns" can continue on for the 48 hours awards.  Not once
> have I seen the following suggestions.  If you can't last for 48 hours, or if
> family commitments can't be adjusted to allow a 48 hour operation, why not
> just
> opt for a single band entry?  With the current band conditions, you could pick
> any one of a number of bands to attempt a serious entry, and on some bands you
> would be able to operate much less than 24 hours.  Don't have the antennas or
> location to win a national award?  Go for the high score in your call area.
> Either of the above still requires good operating habits and a dedication to
> winning.
>
> My vote is to leave the major contests alone.  They represent the epitome of
> operating excellence.  Pick your own entry classification from the numerous
> options currently available.
>
> 73, Bob W7BJ

                                     Alan Zack
                     Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
                         Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
          Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
                               SEMPER PARATUS