CQ-Contest

GAS and ECT

Subject: GAS and ECT
From: mockler@nbnet.nb.ca (Mockler Allen & Dixon)
Date: Sat Jul 16 10:19:05 1994
On Sun, 17 Jul 1994 13:13:56 -0400 (ED, <RKILE@delphi.com> wrote:

>                       To a Higher level
>

>    My contention is to move competion to yet a higher level. We have all
>these tools, skills, and hardware at hand. Why not move from "I said so" to
>"I've proven so..."? Since I sincerely doubt that all the motivation is from
>the pure enjoyment of it all, an attempt to make it more meaningfull for all
>is of importance. The moral attitude is such that "I'll sue you for liable",
>if I don't get my trophy.
>
>73, Bob KG7D
>via internet"rkile@delphi.com"
"liable"=libel (up here) :)

From: H. L. Serra" <hlserra@teetot.acusd.edu (H. L. Serra)
Subject: Calif QSO Party Dates

Anyone know the PRECISE dates (not "first weekend in Oct.")and times
designated for the Calif QSO Party this year?
Thanks, Larry N6AZE

From: Tony Brock-Fisher <fisher@hp-and.an.hp.com> (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Subject: S-meters

Derek, AA5BT, G3NMX wrote:

>Those of you who believe in S-units should ponder the following.
>I did a test with a VK, who said that I was S9 + 60dB (hmm), so
>I turned off the SB-220 and he said I dropped to S5.   If one
>S-point is 6 dB, that's a difference of 84 dB or about a factor
>of 250 million.   So if I was running 100 W without the amp, I
>must have been running 25 billion watts with it on - or conversely,
>if I was running 1 KW with it on, the transceiver alone was putting
>out 4-millionths of a watt.
>
>Does anyone look at the S-meter in giving signal reports?  Are we
>really using 6 dB per S unit when we say that one person is S5 and
>another is S9?   People have told me "well, a factor of 4 in power
>is only one S-unit, so it doesn't make that much difference".
>A factor of 4 is a factor of 4...

>From some testing, I've found Kenwood rigs are 6 db per S-unit, and
S9 is not so accurate around 50 uV. Icom rigs are actually 3-db per
S-unit, with a very accurate 50 uV at S-9. AGC typically is pretty
late in Icom rigs, resulting in much more 'depth' for weak signal
work - a desireable attribute in my opinion. Don't know what Yaesus
do...

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and.an.hp.com

From: Swanson, Glenn" <gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn)

 ----------
From: Tony Brock-Fisher
To: cq-contest

Derek, AA5BT, G3NMX wrote:

>Those of you who believe in S-units should ponder the following...
> (stuff deleted)
>Does anyone look at the S-meter in giving signal reports?  Are we
>really using 6 dB per S unit when we say that one person is S5 and
>another is S9?   People have told me "well, a factor of 4 in power
>is only one S-unit, so it doesn't make that much difference".
>A factor of 4 is a factor of 4...

>From some testing, I've found Kenwood rigs are 6 db per S-unit, and
S9 is not so accurate around 50 uV. Icom rigs are actually 3-db per
S-unit, with a very accurate 50 uV at S-9. AGC typically is pretty
late in Icom rigs, resulting in much more 'depth' for weak signal
work - a desirable attribute in my opinion. Don't know what Yaesus
do...

 -Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and.an.hp.com

'Course the ARRL Handbook says: "...S meters are relative-reading
instruments..." and: "No two receivers render the same reading of a given
signal, unless by coincidence. This is because the gain distribution within
the amateur receiver varies from band to band. Since most S meters are
activated from the AGC line in a receiver, what might be S9 on one ham band
could easily become S6 or 10 dB over S9 on another band. A receiver that
rendered accurate readings on each band it covered would be extremely
esoteric and complex.  An attempt was made by at least one manufacturer in
the early 1940s to establish some significant numbers for S meters.  S9 was
to be equivalent to 50 microvolts, and each S unit would have been equal to
6 dB.  The system never took hold in the manufacturing world, probably for
the reasons given earlier."  They are useful for comparison, say between
"high" and "low" power during a QSO, but the actual S meter readings are
relative.
                          73, Glenn KB1GW  gswanson@arrl.org

From: n2bcc@thetech.com (Warren Walsh) (Warren Walsh)
Subject: W1AW results for IARU

BAND    QSO     ZONES   HQ's
80      48      8       5
40      84      10      5
20      1345    31      13
15      159     22      6
10      98      9       0

Total   1734    80      29
Score 550,014

Operators: K2WR and N2BCC
Time:      1240 to 0340UTC

Great time, part time effort this year. Both operators burnt out by late
evening. Also had much fun on 10m, hopefully got some new contest
operators from there! Look forward to next year!

Warren Walsh - N2BCC@thetech.com

PS first posting to this reflector hope it's correct!

--
n2bcc@thetech.com (Warren Walsh)
The Tech BBS (408) 279-7199 San Jose, CA

From: no0t@fns.com (Paul Sobon) (Paul Sobon)
Subject: KLM Log 7-30 Antenna

Is there anyone who has tried the KLM Log 7-30 8 Ele log periodic
antenna? Wonder how it compares gain wise over similar size antennas?
Would like some feedback as a frined of mine is planning to put one
up about 110 feet on Rohn 45.
Paul
NO0T at FNS.COM