CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Packet luck or pot luck?

To: N7MAL <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>, Cq-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet luck or pot luck?
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:40:07 -0500
I operated as W1FJ.  Upon my request, K1TTT gave me the
spots generating by the W1FJ station.

I spotted 8 DX stations on 7038 QSX 7154 between Mar
4/0753-0807z... and three at 0920z.

This occurred because I configured MM software to
"automagically spot S&P QSOs".  It seemed a good idea at the
time.

But, due to some confusion about how MM was configured for
split operations on 40m, MM thought that I was operating S&P
when, in fact, I was running... and so generated these spots
on my TX/RX frequency.

Another station tipped us off that I was generating these
spots, which was the first indication of the problem.  I
immediately turned off the auto-spot option on every band.

So, Mal, I guess I'm saying "ooooops", as you put it.  It
was a mistake -- just like the mistake I made when I
reversed by VFOs and transmitted below 7100 kHz.  I'm sorry
for making these mistakes... and I am glad that someone else
pointed them out quickly.

I am not claiming single-op assisted.  We were multi-multi.

73,
    -- Eric K3NA