CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL says no to opening logs...
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:59:25 -0400
I think that the concern here is that someone who didn't even get on the
air and call can review a log and find a call that is very similar to
his own (K4BI, or K4BAM, or K4BIA, or K5BAI, for example, instead of
K4BAI) and get all the QSO information to send a request for a QSL for a
QSO that was never made and a sypathetic QSL manager or operator may
assume that it was a copying error and send a QSL for a contact that was
never made.

That rule, if applied retroactively, would mean, I think, that none of
the WRTC QSOs made from the competitors in Brazil last month would be
credited for ARRL awards. Also, and I won't name names here, there are a
number of hams who have wesbites and post their logs to them.  I assume
they would want to  stop that practice now.  I have already seen misuse
of one of those websites by a SWL card sender in Europe who sent out
requests for QSL cards for contacts that he could not have heard from
Europe.  As a result, I will not reply to any SWL request from that DE0
alleged SWL.  I have also found a HA SWL who is sending requests for QSL
cards based on DX cluster or internet spots for QSOs that he did not and
could not have heard.  (These guys don't even have enough sense to limit
their requests to times and bands where propagation to their locations
might have been possible.)

Please understand that I had no part in suggesting or discussing this
rule change.  I just think I understand the possible abuses that it is
designed to try to prevent.

73,

John, K4BAI.