CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept

To: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:28:56 -0400
Hi Jim et al --

   Zones (either CQ or IARU) are not particularly geographically compact
nor equivalent in size.  A UA3A experiences vastly different propagation
than a UT5, for instance.  I would suggest considering a different basis
for a multiplier; e.g., the grid field indication.  Grid fields (the
"FN" part of "FN41") are pretty large.

   This would also be an opportunity to move to a more meaningful
exchange; e.g., grid square + serial number.

   I wonder if there is really enough interest in this to do a one-off
proof of concept contest to see if this would be fun for the
participants.  That requires moving past the talk-talk stage to having a
real set of people willing to commit to "instant adjudication", etc.
But without some trials, we're just engaging in mental entertainment.

   If successful, maybe an existing contest like IARU could be changed
to adopt the model.

-- Eric K3NA