CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] solar cycle 24

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] solar cycle 24
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 07:44:08 -0700
Art RX9TX wrote:
>  Hello ,
>
> Looks  like solar cycle 24 has finally started as SFI has been growing
> since October 24, see
>
> http://www.dxlc.com/solar/

Art,

While I wish it was true that this was the beginning of cycle 24, I'm afraid it
is not. The latest sunspot group (978), as well as the two other sunspot groups
that briefly appeared this week, are "old sunspot cycle" sunspots. You can tell
this because of their low solar latitude. "New sunspot cycle" sunspots will
appear at solar latitudes greater than 20 North and 20 South. See
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/sun/activity/butterfly.html for more
information.

Nevertheless, these old sunspot cycle sunspots should be good for the 10 meter
contest this weekend.

73,
Steve, N2IC