CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Thanks for the Unexpected Box from California QSO Party

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, wk6i@arrl.org, Peter Chamalian <w1rm@arrl.net>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Thanks for the Unexpected Box from California QSO Party
From: "John T. Laney III" <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:20:00 -0500
It often causes unexpected tension when a judge received an unexpected
box.  There is always concern that it might be a pipe bomb.  While in
QSO with Pete, W1RM, this afternoon, my XYL came in and said that UPS
had delivered a box for me.  I wasn't expecting anything to come in a
box.  She said that it had my call sign on it.  I told her not to open
it.  After signing with Pete, I examined the box and saw that it came
from Cupertino, CA, and I assumed that I must have won a bottle of wine
from the sponsors of the California QSO Party.  Nevertheless, I had some
concern that I should take it in and let the security people x-ray it
tomorrow at the office.  But, I decided to take it out on to the front
porch so that, if I was wrong, it wouldn't blow my wife and house up too.

Sure enough, it was a great bottle of wine from the California QSO Party
and WK6I's Twisted Oak Winery.  So, this is a long way around to say
thanks to the NCCC, CQP committee, and WK6I.  This is a worthwhile prize
for participating in a very enjoyable contest.

73,

John, K4BAI.