CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Use cut numbers judiciously

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Use cut numbers judiciously
From: "John T. Laney III" <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:58:41 -0500
And "V" is not an acceptable cut number for "4" anyway.  4 like 6 has no
acceptable cut number.  The worst one I have encountered is often found
by primarily European stations who send "J" instead of "1."  If you must
send a cut number for "1," is is "A," not J.  When a number is called
for and someone sends "J," it is often impossible to determine if they
are mistakenly sending a "J" when they mean "1" or if they are
defectively trying to send a "2."  My sense is that it is nearly always
meant to be a "1," as in 100 watts power.  Of course, if they are trying
to send a zone such as "J4" for "14," is is easier to figure out than
when it is in ARRL DX and they are supposed to be sending their power.
Not too many people run 200 watts in that contest since it puts them
into the high power category, but doesn't increase their signal enough
to justify competing with the 1.5 KW stations.

So, please spread the word. Don't use "J" or "V" as a cut number.  73,
John, K4BAI.