CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:11:59 -0700
Disclaimer:  I almost never operate assisted (in any manner) during a
contest.

That being said, it beats the heck out of me why so many people seem to
think that change is inherently bad, and that anyone who doesn't do
things they way they would is in some way a lesser practitioner.  Or
that anyone who has different motivations for pursuing the same activity
is getting it wrong.  The dynamics of the world just don't work that
way, and in general whatever happens ... happens for a reason.

I sincerely doubt that ham radio contesting would have the level of
participation it does today if everyone operated like you did in 1969.
It simply isn't that appealing to a large percentage of the population
any more, and the average contester doesn't care to devote the time and
energy to it that they might have 40 years ago.  The hobby isn't as
relevant technically, and as the average age of hams increases many of
them aren't willing to devote significant hours to the event.  Decry
that if you will, but that's life.  People used to build their own homes
from scratch but almost nobody does so anymore, for a variety of
reasons.  Do those lost skills represent a step backward for society in
general?  Hardly.  That which is lost by the mainstream is offset by the
specialization of the few, and the same thing is happening in radiosport.

Take a look at the operating time statistics for the major contests.  A
large percentage of those who submit a log operate less than one fourth
the total hours of a contest, yet the high scorers operate almost the
entire event.  Is either camp diminished by the other?  Not that I can
tell.  The casual point-and-click operators (who are there simply to
have fun and couldn't care less what you think about their inferior
skills) depend upon serious contesters for targets and cluster spots for
guidance, while the serious contesters are damn glad that the masses are
still there no matter how the cretins managed to find them.  Take away
either side and the sport goes away pretty quickly.

If some of those participants (from either camp) decide they want to
rely more on technology than personal skill ... so what?  If I can't
tell whether I'm making a contact with a person or a robot, or with
someone who found me by spinning a knob or by point/click, or with
someone who enjoys the same aspects of the game as I do or not ... why
should I care?  How is my enjoyment diminished by any of that?  As long
as the contest sponsors are proactive enough to maintain entry
categories that fit everyone's preferences, how does trying to cram
everyone into your view of the world as it was forty years ago make
anything better?  I can pretty much assure you that it would make the
sport smaller.

The future of contesting isn't threatened by technology ... it's
threatened by intolerance and disparagement.

73,
Dave   AB7E