CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Congrats to Russian DX Contest cracking downcheating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Congrats to Russian DX Contest cracking downcheating
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:30:34 -0500
This kind of thing really does reinforce my thought that we should just
go to a MMOG ("Massively Multiplayer Online Game"), at least for the CW
contests.  Someday, the technology will be there for phone as well.
Perhaps it'll all just end up as a virtual competition.  No antennas!
No worry about deed restrictions!

Imagine if this was all online!  There could be many different
scenarios, such as "everyone is operating from the same QTH", or "pick
your QTH", or "the sunspot count is at 307!", "design your own virtual
station (watch out, OH8X! :-)  ) or whatever!  The sponsor could make
you buy virtual antennas, virtual hilltops and all the rest, not unlike
Facebook's dreaded "Farmville" virtual world!

Since it would all be controlled by a central program, all "QSO" details
would be known, and theoretically, everyone would know they were
experiencing the same "conditions", and so on.

Of course, it wouldn't necessarily stop the CQ-Contest-Lawyers, who
would likely imagine and "prove" a conspiracy of program code designed
to benefit or harm specific people or groups...

Personally, I doubt I'd find it interesting, since while I appreciate
and make my living in the digital world, I live in and enjoy the analog
world far more, and prefer to play in the real ionosphere.

Having said that, has anyone considered that we, as radiosport
enthusiasts, should be trolling for new blood in the electronic gaming
world?  I'm very serious!  Consider that playing on a console in one
thing, but can't we lay claim to being the "Original electronic
gamers"?   Surely there are some whose curiosity would be piqued!

73,
Steve
NN4X
EL98jh