CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote operation
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:27:08 -0500
Lessee, For Field Day 1985 and subsequent years, I wrote a macro using
Lotus 123 with my brand new HP-110 computer (512 KB memory 4.x MHz CPU)
all in memory - no hard drive, no floppy disk.   Lotus 123 was a plug in
on e-PROM or ROM.  It came with the computer.

The macro checked for dupes, and saved all the data to a file.  It sped
up my operation considerably because I didn't have to manually check for
dupes, though there was a noticeable lag between entering a call and
"dupe" showing up on the screen.

I've never been much of a contester, but managed to be within 50 Q's of
the winner of the Class 1B-1op (battery) classification.  The number of
Q's I managed was 369, so I never taxed the system.

Would my program have run 1000 Q's?  How much would it have slowed
down?  How applicable would it have been in a contest where dupes were
counted differently?  I dunno, but it sure helped with Field Day.

Of course, in those daze, we printed out the dupe sheet and log, and
sent in paper.  HQ wasn't prepared for computer readable logs in those daze.

Previously (don't remember the date) a bunch of us used a time shared
main frame computer (TSO it was called), wrote a program in Fortran IV,
and had it check our paper logs for dupes.

73 de n8xx Hg