CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl correction factor

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl correction factor
From: Andrew AC6WI <ac6wi@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 00:21:30 -0400
Most of the arguments so far seem to be based on a perceived inequality
between the W1 and W4 call areas.  Changing the scoring system for
everyone in order to try to equalise these two areas would do a great
disservice to the rest of the world and here's why....

Distance based scoring like mentioned below would be a very unfair
scoring system to those who live in far northern latitudes and who have
to contend with polar paths instead of N-S equatorial paths to reach the
larger population centres eg, VE7 or KL7 to EU.

The western Europe area around London, England is about the same great
circle distance from Miami, Florida as it is from Anchorage, Alaska
(check it on google earth if you don't believe me, there's only a 50
mile or just over 1% difference!).  With just a tribander and 100W, a
Miami station should be able to run G/PA/ON/F/DL stations for most of
the day with a pretty good rate whereas the KL7, with the same tribander
and 100W as the Miami station, might only hear a few of the same EU
stations and would struggle to make a small fraction of the contacts due
to the polar path.  And don't try to tell me the difference is the extra
50 miles of distance!  So, how could distance based scoring possibly
level the playing field in this scenario?

Making the scoring more equal for one group, could end up creating a
bigger inequality for others if it's not thought through properly.

Maybe, in addition to distance based scoring, yet another correction
factor that takes distance from the equator into account will need to be
introduced to level the playing field for those in northern latitudes.
And then someone else will want another correction factor if they have a
polar path to a large population centre.  And then someone will want
something else so we'll end up with a scoring system that nobody
understands unless they have a doctorate in mathematics so they can
calculate their score....  Make the scoring too complicated and you will
drive away the casual operator who submits a log which in turn will make
the log checking less thorough, and nobody wants that!

Before jumping in and changing the scoring system to keep a few people
happy, it needs to be considered how any changes will affect the entire
contest community and how it will change the unique character of the
contest.

Vy 73,

Andrew AC6WI