CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Remote Contest Operating

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Contest Operating
From: "Roberts, Will" <Will.Roberts@pgnmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:27:50 -0500
I am all for remote contest operation. As long as the RADIO part of this is
done legally and within the contest rules, I don't see a downside. The up side
is more contest participation and it allows those who are in antenna restricted
areas to participate where they may not be able to otherwise.

73,

Will AA4NC

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 20:55:45 +0000
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com<mailto:pokane@ei5di.com>>
To: cq-contest@contesting.com<mailto:cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W7RM SS CW Operation on LiveATC

On 03/11/2012 16:13, Tree wrote:

> What is unique about this operation is that the operator is on a
> business trip in Bangalore India.

It seems to me that remote-control contesting makes about as much sense as
remote-control hunting.

It may involve advanced technology, it may be harder than the real thing - but
that's missing the point.

Remote-control hunting is generally considered to be unethical, because it
defies the principle of fair chase.  Contest sponsors might consider whether
it's time to apply this principle to amateur radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_hunting

Internet-hosted contesting is not smart, it's not clever and, most of all, it's
not amateur-radio.
Why?  Because no "QSOs" are possible without 100% dependence on a public
communications utility.

73,
Paul EI5DI