CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB : How were condx ?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB : How were condx ?
From: "Yannick (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:35:31 +0700
Hi,

Last week I build and installed a hybrid-Moxon for 15m-10m-6m with fixed beam
(could be manually turned but not real time).
I was a happy DXer with my vertical but wanted something more for contests and
earning points with europeans and north-american stations.

On thursday and friday nights I tested my new beam with good results on 15m to
Europe and even St-Vincent (same heading SP around 330°).
I was eager to run in the ARRL DX SSB this week-end but I went through a real
deception...
Ok on saturday perhaps I was beaming short-path meanwhile the long-path should
have been dominant. I only had QSO with 5 stations (K3EST, N7DD, W6WP...)
On sunday I beamed south (long-path) but heard no new NA stations and even if
at 1.00z the signals seemed louder, soon after everybody went into the noise...

I was unable to keep the vertical and the beam together so an objective
comparison was hard to make.
I know this path over the poles is difficult and could be great some days and
dead the day after.
I would like to know what was your experience this week-end to SE-Asia stations.
By experience I know that YB and even HS have openings I don't have because the
polar path is a bit tricky and comparing is not always easy.
Anyway, I'd like to have more data in order to know if it was just the band
condx or my antenna is not good for this path...

Thanks for your help.
73,
Yan.
---