CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] To cut or not to cut?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] To cut or not to cut?
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:49:25 -0400
Pete:

You have great points.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm probably branded as
a "stick in the mud," but:

I generally ask "NR?" repetitively if a fellow sends cut numbers for his
number.  But, last weekend, after about 5 repeats of the cut number from
this one lid (Yes, I said "LID" intentionally) who apparently didn't
know how to send Morse code numbers, I figured I "got" the number ok,
put it into my N1MM logger, and it filled in the space with the actual
numbers.  That solves the problem of whether to report "what was sent"
or what the LID meant.

Also, for whatever reason, quite a few folks got the call I was using
(WQ8RP) wrong - typically, or not always, either KQ2RP (was he on this
contest?) or W8RP.  In such cases I'd just send my call twice, give no
other info, and typically he'd repeat my call correctly along with his
info again.

I probably don't have a golden log, but after getting RBN reports of 6%
error or more with WQ8RP in the past, I figure valor is the better part
of discretion, and if folks consider me a LID because of my insistence
that they send my call correctly back to me, then I plead guilty.
Typical error rate is between 1 and 3% for other contests with my "real"
call, so the WQ8 is probably the thing which confuses ops.

73 de n8xx Hg
Operated WQ8RP during CQ WPX 2012