CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted or not assisted question (yet again)
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 17:55:49 -0400
Mike:

Perhaps the questions arise because of the advent of new technology.  We
use all sorts of "new technology" for receiving and transmitting
information - like computer logging, super high quality receivers,
transmitting with aid of our computers, antenna designs which were
totally unknown until recently, etc.   If we're against "progress" why
don't we say we must use hand keys, rigs with very basic crystal
filters, paper logging & Dupe Sheets, etc.???  (Yep, I know this is
extreme, but I'm trying to make a point)

We must NOT use this or that operating aid.  What seems "logic" to one,
doesn't seem logical to another.

There seems to be no "real" consensus on what forms of new technology we
can use.   There appears to be some "elite clique" of self appointed
"top echelon operators" who attempt to dictate "rules of the road" - and
which MUST be followed by the plebiscite upon pain of ridicule and
worse.  THAT is why the questions keep coming up, over and over again.

I fail to see why some "new technologies" are adopted wholeheartedly,
and others are banned.

Of course, in saying this, I'll probably be branded as a heretic.

BTW, the YL contesters may have complaints about the use of "A Boy and
His Radio" to describe a type of contesting.

73 de n8xx Hg