CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 07:10:21 -0600
So you want to write rules around which radio someone uses.  WPX already
has Tribander wire class.  Should there be a class for antennas with
more than 3 elements per band,  more than 6 elements per band?  Why
should the guys in the UK and other territories have to compete with
only 400 watts when other countries can run 1500.

SO2R is one operator and multiple radios.  If you don't wish to learn
how to do this why should we have to create another class.  Why is there
no cry for Single op multiple towers or single op multiple antennas?
Does the guy that has stacks pointed to EU, SA, and JA have an advantage
over the poor little pistol like me with a lousy 4 ele beam @70ft?  Sure
they do.

The bests ops will continue to win and beat most of us even if they were
forced to run one radio.  Running multiple radios has been around a lot
longer than most recognize.  It has become more popular because of the
electronics available to make this happen much easier than in the past.

WRTC is the closest thing to a level playing field we will ever see.

For the 99 percent they get on for fun.  I agree.  Buying a $5000 radio
does not make someone a great op.  I can take a crummy rig to the
Caribbean and run up a huge score.  Sure it will be much more painful
than using my K3.  The TS-590 for the money might be one of the best new
rigs around and it comes in under $1500.00.