CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 02:04:43 +0000
N2TTA asked:

> My?question?why i was?disqualified?if i operate?under?Extra class
> privileges and control operator was there all of the time. And WHY i
> should be in MO entry if control operator did not help me. ( Some
> times wife brings you coffee and you go to MO entry?)
> I?don't?feel like i broke FCC or ARRL rules.
> I was operate in many contest and never got this before, but now when
> i clam high score?Unassisted?is?happening.?Of course, the easiest way
> to pass the Extra class exam, but I wonder if I violated any rule or,
> or not?
> Need your opinion

Unless things have changed in K since I left, someone with a lower class
operator's licence cannot operate a station other than within the limits
of their operator's licence.

If the station is used beyond the limits of the operator's licence, then
you are no different than a person without an operator's licence & the
station must be under control of a control operator, who must have an
operator's licence that permits how/where/etc the station is being
operated.  This also makes this lower operator's licence class person a
third party (from KP2 in ARRL DX, that is not an issue - but it would in
other events).

That is not an opinion - it is how things had to be done about a quarter
century ago before I emigrated from K.  If things are still the same
today, then N2TTA's operation of KP2MM did not conform with regulatory
requirements of K & therefore the DQ.  Very simple.

When there is a control operator involved - even if that person has
nothing to do with actual operating (finding, working & logging Qs) -
because without the control operator being present & exercising control
over the station that regulations require, that station could not be
legally operated - hence in most events, the rules place this into a
multi-operator category.

Now for an opinion: only higher scoring entries receive scrutiny &
enforcement in radiosport.  The vast majority do not.  If, as I suspect,
the I-did-this-before-&-it-was-accepted-because-I-was-not-DQed rationale
expressed by N2TTA is also subscribed to by the masses, when their
entries breach that threshold, only then will they find out what they
may have been doing is wrong.  Long term, these are the people who will
replace participants at the top today who understand how to play the
game - or on a local or regional scale become the upper level
participants & in time, will drag things around them down to their
level.  Preventing this inevitable downward spiral is understandably a
challenge, given what would be required to make sure the rules are
equally applied to all.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.