CQ-Contest

IARU Zone Map

Subject: IARU Zone Map
From: wb2k@ritz.mordor.com (John A. Ross, IV)
Date: Tue Jun 27 08:20:36 1995
>Anybody know where I can find an IARU zone map?
>

>               Thanks, Bill - W5VX

There are two sources that come to mind. First is the ARRL. If you send to
them for the IARU HF Contest info pack they include a 8.5 x 11 ITU zone
map. It's detail leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a convenient size.
Second source is the Callbook folks. They put out a few wall size maps.
Their most common one has the world with CQ zones on 1 side, and the world
with ITU zones on the other. Much better detail and in full color. They're
avail via mail order and I also see them often at fests.

See you all in the IARU test July 8-9 (The CQWW of the summer!)
Details in April QST.

73, John - WB2K

John A. Ross, IV  - WB2K / VE2TJA [Zone 2]  (wb2k@ritz.mordor.com)
Summit, New Jersey
Contest DXpedition Registry ---------> http://www.mordor.com/wb2k

From: Marios Nicolaou <mzyd108@unicorn.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk> (Marios Nicolaou)
Subject: TS-940 vs TS-850S??? (fwd)

Hallo there,

        I am trying to set up a good contest station here at my
university and I would like to ask the following :
        just wanted to ask the opinion of the reflector about the
TS940s and the TS-850s (even TS-930S) as far as contest operation is
concerned (reception) as well as casual operation.

        Is there any homemde interface diagram for connecting the 940s to
a PC?

        Thanx in advance for your reply.

        Please answer directly to me (not on the reflector and if there
is enough interest, I will summarise for everybody)

                        73s MArios (5B4WN)
       \\\|///
       ( O - )
-----oOO-(_)-OOo----- No matter how many wall I climb, there is always-------
----------------------another one in front of me, isn't that unfair??--------
Marios Nicolaou (5B4WN)> mzyd108@unix.nott.ac.uk

University of Nottingham Medical School

From: David Robbins KY1H <robbins@guid2.dnet.ge.com> (David Robbins KY1H)
Subject: packet on fd

Here we go again... the old packet on fd discussion.  Mull this over for
a while.  I was going to help local shack-on-the-belt crowd field day but
the backhoe operator showed up at noon saturday to dig holes for next tower,
and due to predicted rain i figured it was more important to get forms in
holes than play come-back-good-buddy on hf.  so in between trips to bottom
of muddy holes i played field day sending '0d wma'.  yes, i had to explain
to about half the contacts i made that i had no transmitters on the air.
To me that this is apparently legal from the rules makes the use of packet
as it is now a farce for field day.

I repeat the suggestion I made last year...  packet should be allowed on
field day under the following conditions:
1. Contacts made direct to another station without relay by any intervening
computer, tnc, or repeater will count.
2. Contact made using another portable field day site as a digipeater or
netrom type node are permitted.  This will allow contacts made using another
class a,b, or c station as a relay, in keeping with the emergency nature of
field day operations relays from permanent home stations are not permitted.
3. Relay via landline, commercial satellites, internet, or other hard-wired
services are not permitted.

This would force field day packet operators to work in simulated emergency
conditions.  Just think, after a major storm, earthquake, or other emergency
the mountaintop and major backbone connections may very well be down.  What
do you do then?  You have to figure out who is still on the air, and where
you can get to from there... essentially build a whole new map of the
available packet network.  and that new network is probably very shakey,
nodes will come and go as stations loose power, change frequency to find
more activity, etc.

73, Dave KY1H  Robbins@guid2.dnet.ge.com

From: Steve Runyon WQ5G  512-838-7008 <steve@austin.ibm.com> (Steve Runyon WQ5G
512-838-7008)
Subject: Callbook Ham Maps

I recently ordered the wall sized zone map from the callbook folks, around
2/ or 3/95).

It was the old map (not showing the recent political changes in Europe),
and they stated that they had discontinued printing the map, as they had
no plans to have the map updated (too bad! It's a nice one...)

They were already out of the rolled maps, but still had some of the
folded ones left, so that's what I got.
>Anybody know where I can find an IARU zone map?
>

>               Thanks, Bill - W5VX

There are two sources that come to mind. First is the ARRL. If you send to
them for the IARU HF Contest info pack they include a 8.5 x 11 ITU zone
map. It's detail leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a convenient size.
Second source is the Callbook folks. They put out a few wall size maps.
..... (remainder deleted)

From: jbwolf@most.magec.com (James B. Wolf) (James B. Wolf)

>This would force field day packet operators to work in simulated emergency
>conditions.  Just think, after a major storm, earthquake, or other emergency
>the mountaintop and major backbone connections may very well be down.  What
>do you do then?  You have to figure out who is still on the air, and where
>you can get to from there... essentially build a whole new map of the
>available packet network.  and that new network is probably very shakey,
>nodes will come and go as stations loose power, change frequency to find
>more activity, etc.
>
>73, Dave KY1H  Robbins@guid2.dnet.ge.com

Interesting point. If an emergency happened 'during' Field Day, our network of
PacketCluster nodes that has the capability to transfer messages and
announcements
would be severly wounded due to the fact that much of the system would be
shutdown.
Since some sysops turn off when Field Day comes around, for God only knows
what reason, the PacketCluster network cannot then be depended upon in an
emergency situation.

Then why even use it or anything similar when the lively hood of the
situation depends
upon some sysop that "don't want that crap going through MY node". "After
all, it ain't DX,  screw-em".
With an attitude like that I sure wouldn't want to depend on him in an
emergency.

I'm with you Dave.

James Wolf, KR9U
jbwolf@most.magec.com

--------------------------------------
James B. Wolf                       Phone:219-429-4638
Mail Stop:25-71  Fax:8215  Email: jbwolf@most.magec.com
MESC, 1313 Production Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808

From: David & Barbara Leeson <0005543629@mcimail.com> (David & Barbara Leeson)
Subject: FD

No time for travel or antenna setup, but wanted to test new generator running
station with amp for 24 hours.  Generac 5kW from Costco, at $500, is a real
deal!  It puts out 240V at 20A per side, used about 12 gallons of gas for
24 hours, and never missed a beat.  Five star rating.

Other objective was to have fun, put signal on air for IFDC and run at
>100/operating hour rate.  Met that objective, too.

W6QHS (W6QHS, KK6QM, WN4KKN, ops) 1E high power 3110 X Sweep = 239,470 IFDC
points (check log, but fun).

Check out that generator; we were impressed.

Cheers de Dave, W6QHS