CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Low End of 40

To: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Low End of 40
From: <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:22:34 -0600
In the spring, I picked up a used IC-756PRO, having used a pair of them
at VE6JY in the phone SS.

I loved them as phone radios. This past weekend was the first real test of
the radio in a competitive CW environment. In my view, it absolutely
shined. I could be right next to a 20over 9 station, and while it was clear he
was there, my ability to copy weak stations was uncompromised.

My second radio is a TS850SAT, and it's a great radio, probably No.1 in
radios now available for less than $1,000. But it was not quite at the level
of the 756PRO. (And I have Inrad CW filters in both IFs).

Given that the high end of used pricing is about the 1300 or so US I paid (I
bought all my main used radios at Burghardt and have never been
disappointed), I think the 756PRO is the No.1 value in contesting radios
today.

73, kelly
ve4xt

> From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
> Date: 2005/11/07 Mon AM 10:24:31 CST
> To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Low End of 40
>
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Kelly Taylor wrote:
>
> > Because there can be only so many signals in a given amount of
bandwidth,
> > what the complainers are saying is that some people shouldn't be
allowed to
> > operate SS until a spot in "acceptable" bandwidth opens up.
> >
> > Is that really what the spirit of ham radio is about?
> >

> I am really impressed with my TS-850 during CW contests.  The 500 Hz
CW