CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] How big is the DX cluster?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How big is the DX cluster?
From: Joe Stepansky <kq3f@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:17:55 -0400
I'd normally agree but for one thing.  Do IM and/or Facebook have
contests?  I ask because we had a LOT of high school kids at our last local
club meeting (long story about why they were there, not important
here).  Anyway, the one area that most interested them was contesting (or,
as I put it, competition).  I overheard one student telling his teacher "I
never knew there were competitions".

The only downside is that our competitions go on for as many as 48 hours,
while they're used to their sporting competitions being over in 2-3
hours.  It's something I haven't obviously gotten my mind around yet, but I
wonder if contesting/competition might attract younger people.  Otherwise,
Barry, you're right.  There are so many other ways to communicate.

73, Joe KQ3F