CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Headset Mic vs. Boom Mic

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Headset Mic vs. Boom Mic
From: rhodes@evertek.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Mon Sep 30 11:37:30 2002
I prefer the headset myself. I usually am wearing headphones anyway so I
can hear better & not disturb the rest of the house in the middle of the
night. I have 2 of them one with a heil 4 element & one with a heil 5
element. Neither of them are heil headsets. They both have fairly long
cords so that I can move about in the shack some without leaving the mike,
a real plus even when just ragchewing. I can go to the files or the other
counter and still have the mike right there. When contesting I can change
positions at will without having to worry about where the mike is a plus
for when you are trying to stay awake in the slow times or just to find a
more comfortable position.

At 03:21 AM 9/30/02, Dennis Ponsness wrote:
>Well, I have had good luck in the past with getting excellent advice here,
>so I thought I would put this one out...
>
>I am setting up my "contest station" which will be for "semi-serious"
>contesting.  I know that using the standard hand mic with my rig is not
>the most optimum setup - kinda hard to log at the same time.  Mainly I
>S&P, but have been known to do (or at least attempt to do) a run.  I will
>be using a foot switch for PTT of course, but I am debating whether to use
>a headset mic or a boom mic.  What are the advantages/disadvantages to
>each?  They cost roughly the same, so that isn't a factor here, I just
>want to get the one that I will be the most useful for my particular needs.
>
>TNX es 73
>
>Dennis - WB0WAO

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net