CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] RIT offset as QRM clue

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RIT offset as QRM clue
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun Sep 1 15:56:55 2002
At 04:47 PM 9/1/02 +0000, K4SB wrote:

>This has been going on for years and years, and is simply a way some
>use to "muscle" in on your run frequency. Moving higher will only
>result in the "grabber" also moving higher, and very soon, you'll find
>yourself unable to move in either direction.

Hi Ed -- Oh, sure, I know about the slide in close and squeeze tactic --
I've been in a few frequency fights too.  But I was thinking of the
more-or-less innocent situation.  For example, I'm on 28002 and somebody in
Michigan is on 28001.7, both running Europe.  We MIGHT hear each other, if
the band is open wide and we had time to listen for backscatter, but it's
more likely we just beat each other up in Europe without knowing it, at
least for a while.  In that situation, it's my impression that a 100 Hz
tweak can make a useful difference.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower