CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX SSB: 40m operation

To: Jimk8mr@aol.com,
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX SSB: 40m operation
From: Keith Kerr <k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:08:02 +0000
Hi Jim,
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment but it was my impression that
not enough guys on the NA side were listening in this area. I spent a lot
of time calling CQ around 7102-3, listening up but found better rates when
I transmitted below 7100. Equally I also had a poor return when trying to
work simplex between 7150 and 7200.

I also had several stations from EU call me on 7102+/_ to berate me for
being out of band.

Seems like a bit of education is need all round.

And regarding listening frequency stealing that someone else posted
about......been happening for years but is it deliberate or accidental. Who
knows, cannot prove it and cannot do much about it. I did have one instance
when I started up on 70?? and listened on 7246 or thereabouts, only to have
IY4FM or some such call transmit on 7246 to tell me that I was using HIS
listening frequency. That was a first!

I am not sure what to think about this. I will defend a simplex QRG in a
contest with vigour but I think when we are working split you have to
accept and take on the chin the fact that someone else can and will listen
there or indeed start transmitting there. I have never been tempted to
transmit out of band when a US station turns up on the QRG I am using to
listen on 40 or 75, asks if the frequency is clear and starts to CQ.

Who has the bigger pile up wins!

Keith GM4YXI (GM7V)

At 11:14 06/03/06 -0500, Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:

>This will not cure the problem perceived/observed by LA5HE and others, but  I
>did notice Sunday evening that 7100-7105 was clear and unused, other than
>G4BUO CQing at 7100.6 or so. There were more reasonably open spots above
>the BC
>station at 7110.  I did not hear anyone using these frequencies.
>
>Those who now have authorization to use 7100+ would do well to operate up
>there, taking a small bit of spectrum pressure off those who can't.
>

>73  -  Jim  K8MR

------------
Dr Keith M Kerr,
Consultant and Clinical Senior Lecturer,
Department of Pathology,
Aberdeen University Medical School and Aberdeen Royal Infirmary,
Foresterhill, Aberdeen,
Scotland, UK,  AB25  2ZD
Telephone:
Office direct line 01224 552414