CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Why is he ashamed of his call???

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why is he ashamed of his call???
From: Geoffrey Way <wayg@cape-vision.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:01:06 -0500
This response is about the problem of lack of ID in a contest, not about a particular person.

I listen for 2 or 3 Q's for an ID, and then work them even if they haven't yet.

If a running station isn't sending their call, I work him as though *I* am running, by sending THEIR call and the exchange, and make them worry I am about to STEAL THE QRG.

And I am *VERY LOUD...*

In EVERY instance of doing this, the other station IMMEDIATELY signs to try to re-assert who is running. This costs them even more time than they thought they were saving, and puts them on notice. A secondary benefit is that if I am working them based on a cluster spot, I get to verify the spot's accuracy. A tertiary benefit is that everyone else will also hear their call from my end, giving them a chance to hear what might be a weaker station's callsign repeated from a big station's signal.

If everyone on the S&P end did this, all infrequently ID-ing stations would quickly lose this very bad habit of long runs with no ID.

-- KA1IOR
Team member @ KM1W

 "Style is a simple way of saying complicated things."  --J. Cocteau

              \    /
                 /
              ======
           \  |    |   ---Tao.   A chinese character that
           -- |----|                means "Way, Path."
            / |----|
            \ |____|
            /_________                  Geoffrey Way