CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] QRL?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRL?
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:50:49 +0000
On 15/01/2013 20:15, Tree wrote:

I think Fred Laun wrote the definitive statement about the use of QRL in
contests.

What Fred said at the time (2001) was somewhat
controversial - and that much is unchanged.

For example.
  "If I am running on a frequency and someone
   asks "QRL?", I reserve the right to choose
   whether to respond or not."

Yes, the callers should listen for a while before
dumping their "QRL?" on the frequency but I'd
suggest that, however impatient or rude the QRLers
are, if you don't respond immediately to remind
them you're using the frequency, you will have to
fight for it.

Also, more ops are SO2R these days.  Should the
QRLers have to listen first for 10 seconds just in
case someone is about to return to that frequency
from another band?  How long is enough?

In any case, why does anyone send "QRL?" on CW
when an initial "?" is enough?

73,
Paul EI5DI