CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Changes to the rules of the CQ WW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Changes to the rules of the CQ WW
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:50:27 -0400
Seems to me this shouldn't be hard.

1. Follow instructions for your transceiver with regard to the amount of compression and ALC you should permit.
2.  Drive your amplifier with the same care.
3. Solicit comments on the width of your signal before the contest, or, better yet,check your own signal with an SDRand appropriate software. You can SEE a signal that is too wide.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 8/28/2013 7:18 AM, Steef wrote:
Hello all,

As you perhaps know, there are some changes to the rules of the CQ WW.
Or at least the way they are written down.

In which now is stated that:
"The CQ WW DX Contest Committee is responsible for checking and
adjudicating the contest entries. Entrants are expected to follow the rules
and best amateur radio practices. Violation of the rules of the contest or
unsportsmanlike conduct may lead to disciplinary action by the Committee.
A. Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include,
but are not limited to:
5. Signals with excessive bandwidth (e.g., splatter, clicks) or harmonics
on other bands.”

And I like to ask you fellow contesters how you are going to make sure you
are obeying this rule?

I was at the Internationale Amateurfunk-Ausstellung in Friedrichshafen,
there where 3 representatives from Array Solutions. I asked theme if it is
possible to measure splatter whit the Power master. And in stead of trying
to give me an answer, the “guy” tried to make a fool of me, by loudly
yelling I want to have splatter (if you know who it was, say hello from
me). I presume this means that the meter is not capable of measuring
splatter. So I was wondering if the Wavenode is capable of really measuring
splatter of your one signal real time?  If so, is there someone whit some
experience with this? Ore are there some other solutions?

Thank you fore reading this question, time and efforts.
Please excuse my English.

73

Steef PA3S
http://www.dutchpacc.com