CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Dr. DX

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dr. DX
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:56:05 -0500
For those of you who have not seen Dr. DX, here is a screen shot from a presentation done at Dayton in 2005.

 http://www.kkn.net/dayton2005/Who%20needs%20sunspots.pdf

73 Rich NN3W

On 12/16/2013 3:39 PM, kr2q@optimum.net wrote:
I don't remember the year, but I used Dr. DX at Dayton, out in the one the
convention center
areas.

They didn't have much of a pileup (people), but I gave it a try.

For those who never got to play with it, you would set your call (location) and go.  It
"knew"
what the bands (all of them) should be like for YOUR location (including DX)
for that time of day.

So if you set it up for east coast USA and went to 80m at local noon time, the
band was dead.
But if you went to 80 at, say 10pm local time, it was hopping, including QRM
and static crashes.
But if you went to 10m at 10pm local time, hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I remember one guy set it up as if his call were an HS.  All he had were JA
callers on 20m at whatever
time he had set it up for.  Pretty cool stuff.

And you "tuned the band" to find DX too. It was the BEST contest simulator I've
ever experienced.

Too bad there isn't something like that now with a windows GUI.  During crappy
SFI, it
was more fun than the actual contest (not sure if that would still hold
true...activity has
just gone through the roof compared to back then...no matter what).

Bring it back....I'd buy one!

de Doug KR2Q