CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Popgun Sprint CW thoughts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Popgun Sprint CW thoughts
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 10:48:59 -0700
On 02/01/2015 09:23 AM, Art Boyars wrote:

3. In Sprint, small signals can't move to the edge of the fray to CQ; the
edges seem to be too dynamic.

This does work in CW Sprint, where the bands aren't as crowded.

If you're weak and/or slow, a worthwhile strategy is to CQ at the upper edge of activity. After you work someone, QSY 5 or more kHz and start another CQ. You can also do back-to-back CQ QSO's by changing bands (which are, of course, more than 5 kHz apart). When activity starts to thin out as stations move to another band, you will have much better success with S&P and not getting beaten out as often.

(And, of course, Sprint has no "fresh meat" effect that could help a
popgun.)

Not quite true. Believe me, after 0130Z, I am looking hard on 20 meters for fresh meat. Same for 40 meters after 0300Z. If I hear a new station on the "wrong end" of a QSO, I might very well start a CQ a few kHz above his/her last frequency in hopes that they answer. This is especially true if it's a new multiplier.

Hope that all this new interest in Sprint results in more activity this Saturday night for CW Sprint !

73,
Steve, N2IC