CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Spots, Lies and Audio Tapes - a proposal

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spots, Lies and Audio Tapes - a proposal
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:17:42 -0500
First, hats off to Scott for a well written and thorough reply. I'm going to add recording capability to my to-do list.

On the subject of recording contests it seems like there are two routes to take:

1) PC based solutions such as the qsorder plug-in for N1MM or Total Recorder. I assume with both of these solutions you have to feed audio into the sound card line-in? I did read KK9A's e-mail regarding problems with RFI, corrupted files, etc.

2) Scott mentions a hardware solution using an outboard digital recorder. This seems like a much more foolproof way to go. A quick look on Amazon, however, reveals hundreds of models ranging from $25 to several hundreds of dollars. It looks like not all have a way to connect line-level audio. With a stand-alone digital recorder is a PC interface usually available so that the recorded file can be downloaded from the recorder and sent to the contest sponsor? I would hate to have to Fed-Ex my recorder to Randy ;)

Are there any recommendations for specific models that others have used?

Which brings me to a final question. My K3 provides a line-out. I don't know if the line-out has transmit audio or not? I assume you would want both sides of the QSO audio? Maybe Scott's solution to record headphone audio is the best way to go as long as you have the transmit monitor turned on?

On 5/26/2015 1:40 PM, Scott K0DQ wrote:

<snip>

On the other hand, the audio record provides a very strong tool for
detecting several cheating violations, but especially assistance.  Listen to
audio of assisted and unassisted and it's two different worlds:  like
digital vs. analog, or carpet bombing vs. precision guided weapons.  All of
the hypothetical band map scenarios and other claims of "lucky" tuning in a
stochastic environment are answerable by "Show me the sound."  Where in your
recording  is the aural record of station's callsign?  Where is the audio of
the other xx signals which RBN and SDR clearly showed were interspersed with
the mults you conveniently found?

Recording is not hard or onerous.  For the past several years I've recorded
all my contests for practice and preparation - but also as a record in case
there were ever a question as to whether I was using assistance.  There are
a range of easy options, ranging from contest software programs (e.g.
Win-Test) to  a simple outboard audio recorder (I just bought one for under
$50, put a Y connector in the headphone line, and recorded 54 hours of
stereo audio with plenty of disc space and battery power remaining).  Again,
this is not rocket science.  It was a WRTC requirement which all stations
managed to figure out in a field day scenario.

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org