CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Health

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Health
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:57:59 -0500
I think ham radio as a whole has health issues - as does America. However, if there is an exception, I'd say that contesters are often the exception. Perhaps its the Type "A" personality found in a lot of contesters, but I rarely see a "mobility scooter" at the Crowne Plaza at Dayton.

That being said, its never ever too late to do something about it. I made the decision that enough is enough with the snacking and eating (most of which is related to work....). Since then I've started running (haven't done that since I was a Freshman in high school).

Two months passed, 15 pounds lost, and first 10K ever was run a couple weeks ago. Already have to go buy new clothes and I feel a hell of a lot better than I did before summer.

73 Rich NN3W

On 11/24/2015 1:28 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Sun,11/22/2015 7:29 AM, Peter Chamalian wrote:
As one who is intimately familiar with heart trouble (2 mild heart attacks, 9 stents and triple bypass) I urge all contesters to pay attention to their
health.

So sad to lose a great operator like Rich. But for the Grace of God I might have joined him -- a few months ago, my primary care doc heard a murmur on my heart, and sent me for a check up. Long story short, A few hours ago, my wife drove me home from the hospital with a new Aortic Valve and a bypassed artery. Pete and I were lucky -- this time -- but sadly, Rich was not. RIP - OM.

As a group, we've become a bunch of old fat guys who don't get enough exercise, and far too many of us can be seen being wheeled around the aisles of hamfests on "mobility scooters." Perhaps we should be saving them to carry our coffins.

73, Jim K9YC