CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:04:35 -0500
So by this measure, the following would make you assisted.

Watching the weather during the contest - because the forecast wasn't prepared by you.

Looking at your list of xxxxHQ stations in the IARU test.

Looking at NG3K's list of DXpeditions that you printed out before the contest.

Hell, if we're going to go down this road, then assistance means that N1MM and Wintest is having EVERYONE be assisted by populating the signal report field.

As others mentioned, the contest sponsors have defined assistance as information that gives you specific information regarding a frequency and the callsign of the individual on that frequency.

Having a list of calls is -not- providing assistance. You still have to copy the call correctly and you still have to copy the exchange correctly.

Just because you heard NN3 and you're provided with a list of calls doesn't mean that its NN3W, NN3Q, NN2W, NN3RP, NN3V or NN3L. You have to decide (correctly) based upon information what is correct.

73 Rich NN3W

On 11/24/2015 1:49 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

Disagree, Paul.

I too think SCP is inappropriate for Unassisted operation, because SCP
uses information ... compiled by others ... gathered outside of
the actual event. Lots of folks will use the argument that you still need
to copy the callsign to avoid errors and make sure you got it right, but
the fact is that you could rely almost exclusively on SCP to fill in the
last half of every callsign and still do quite well in scoring. That to
me is assistance.

Doesn't matter, though ... the rules are what the contest sponsors say
they are until they decide differently.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 11/23/2015 5:01 PM, Paul O'Kane wrote:
On 23/11/2015 21:14, Stu Phillips wrote:

<snip>

Using Super Check Partial makes you assisted category in a contest.

No - all relevant technology assists.  In essence, what distinguishes
"assisted" from "unassisted" is that you connect to external networks,
typically the cluster or RBN, to improve your score - benefiting from
real-time spotting information from other operators or from remote
receivers.

When you're not connected (and not using CW skimmer), you're unassisted.

Rather than Assisted and Unassisted, the terms should be Connected and
Unconnected.  Seems obvious to me :-)

<snip>

For me going forward, I will submit my entries in the assisted
category whenever I use Super Check Partial – its clear that it helps
with accuracy and likely rate.

Here are a few other things that help with accuracy and rate -

  Contest Loggers
  CW and voice keyers.
  CTY.DAT for callsign identification.
  Automatic antenna switching.
  Filters
  Panadaptors
  Amps
  Antennas

The list is endless - all relevant technology assists, and
SCP is no different (and very useful).  After all, it's
another reference file, freely available to all before the
contest and with no external updates during the contest.

If anyone feels obliged to abstain from using SCP, wouldn't
the same argument apply to using CTY.DAT (from AD1C)?

73,
Paul EI5DI