CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping
From: Tom Francis <w1tef@swsports.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 16:44:06 -0500
On 12/6/2015 12:10 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
Martin

This is kind of CHEATING!.

Maybe they did a mistake when posting to 3830. If not, Will be good to take
a good action with this station and operators. This discourage others to
post in 3830, this is very bad.
*There is nothing in the rules to cover this - watch the claimed scores on 3830, then make your decision based on that. It would only work for Multi Two and Multi-Multi anyway so I don't see where all angst is coming from - the difference between Multi-Two and Multi-Multi is only the number of transmitters. In fact, one could make a logical argument that Multi-Two is actually Multi-Multi as the number of transmitters is great than one. :)

I would also point out that the Contest Committee can make a change in log status based on whatever criteria they use to adjudicate that - I have absolutely no idea of what the criteria is or would be. If they feel its cheating, then they can make that decision, but
I honestly don't know how they could based on 3830 reporting.

Lastly, cheating would be operating Low Power and claiming QRP - that's cheating. Watching an unofficial contest scoring information page to gain an advantage isn't cheating - that's being
smart and taking advantage of the information being presented.

Lastly, the only way to fix it would be to require a category declaration BEFORE the contest
begins.

Tom, W1TEF/4*